Chemung County - The Chemung County Legislature, as lead agency, has determined that the proposed lease of Chemung County Solid Waste Facilities to New England Waste Services will not have a significant adverse environmental impact. The action involves the lease of the Chemung County Landfill Complex; the Lake Street Materials Recycling Facility, milling and transfer station complex; the Big Flats transfer station; the Erin transfer station; the Southport transfer station and a portion of the Milton Street WWTF to NEWSNY for a period of 25 years.
The proposed action also includes the potential for several future projects to be undertaken. These projects, which, if constructed, include:
(1) Development, construction and installation of a sewer line from the Milton Street WWTF to the Town of Chemung.
(2) Development, construction and installation of a municipal water line from Wellsburg, New York to the Town of Chemung and which may include development, construction and installation of a water storage tank in the hamlet of Chemung.
(3) Development, construction and installation of a landfill gas-to-energy system to consist of a gas-to-energy facility at the Milton Street WWTF, an initial gas treatment facility at the landfill and a landfill gas transmission line from the landfill to the Milton Street WWTF.
(4) Development, construction and installation of a hydroponics greenhouse for the purpose of growing agricultural products.
(5) Development, construction and installation of an enhanced construction and demolition recycling facility at the Lake Street Facility.
(6) Development, construction and installation of a sustainable environmental economic development center for environmental stewardship.
(7) Partial funding of a career development center to be located within Chemung County and possible future landfill expansion.
Casella held a public meeting and announced the presence of a chemical in the testing well at the landfill that was in exceedance of DEC standards...